You are hereHome ›
Permissive Tax Exemptions
The Community Charter provides for permissive tax exemptions for land and improvements owned or held by a vaiety of not-for-profit organizations providing service which council considers directly related to the purposes of the organization. It also provides for permissive exemptions for some properties which are additional to statutory exemptions, such as church halls or land surrounding places for public worship.
Permissive tax exemptions may be granted by Council to qualifying organizations under certain circumstances. Council Policy 214 is intended to provide guidance in the evaluation of applications for exemption from property taxes pursuant to Section 224 of the Community Charter.
The annual permissive tax exemption bylaws must be adopted prior to the taxation year for which exemption is requested.
If your feel that your organization qualifies you are required to complete the Permissive Tax Exemption application form in order to be considered for exemption from taxation for the upcoming year. A copy of your organization's financial statements for the previous year and a site plan of your property must be attached to each application.
Permissive Tax Exemption applications will undergo a comprehensive review prior to recommendation for inclusion in the annual bylaws.
Renewal of Permissive Tax Applications is not automatic, and an application form must be submitted annually.
For further information contact the Financial Services Department.
- Exemptions may be claimed for a place of public worship, a church hall and the land upon which they are sited, and for adjacent land used for off-street parking, walks and landscaping associated with the principal use. A separate exemption may be provided for where a manse or similar residence is in association with the place of public worship.
- The Administration Office at City Hall (6910 Duncan Street, Powell River, BC) has Commissioners for Taking Affidavits within the Province that are available for signing documents.
- A copy of your organization's financial statements for the previous year and a site plan of property indicating grounds, buildings and their uses must be attached to each application.
- The personal information on this form is collected for the purpose of an operating program of the City of Powell River as noted in Section 26 (c) of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, please contact the City Clerk at (604) 485‑8603, Ext. 229
- Permissive Tax Exemption Applications are to be submitted to:
City of Powell River
Financial Services Department
6910 Duncan Street, Powell River, BC V8A 1V4
- Willingdon Beach Campsite
- Community Links
- Fire and Emergency Services
- Employment Opportunities
- Photo Gallery
- Sustainability Charter
- Liquid Waste Management
- Asset Management
- Powell River Integrated Community Sustainability Plan
- Live & Invest in Powell River
- Bylaw Enforcement & Animal Control
- Development Services Division
- Engineering Services Division
- Financial Services
- Human Resources
- Operational Services Division
- Powell River Public Library
- Parks, Recreation and Culture
- City Hall
- I Want To...
- Apply for....
- Appear as a Delegation
- Contact Council
- Live & Invest in Powell River
- Register for Recreation Programs
- Ride the Bus
- Start a Business
- Submit a request for information (FOI)
- View Bid Opportunties
- View Garbage/Recycling Schedule
- Know What's Happening in Powell River