You are hereHome ›
City Seeks Sustainability Committee Applications
Submissions for interested community organizations and individuals to participate in the city’s new Sustainability Committee are being invited by the City of Powell River.
The Sustainability Committee is a Council Select Committee comprised of Councillors Russell Brewer, CaroleAnn Leishman and Rob Southcott; one member of the Youth Council; three representatives from local sustainability action groups and two members of the public.
The committee’s mandate has four parts:
- to provide council with recommendations to achieve sustainable goals and meet corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction targets through consideration of related council policies;
- to assist with the development of a training workshop to help embed the Integrated Community Sustainability Plan (ICSP) vision in organizational decision-making, purchasing and GHG reduction target actions;
- to provide council with recommendations regarding requests for funds from the Community Works Reserve Fund and the BC Climate Action Revenue Incentive Program, including development of a decision matrix;
- to facilitate actions regarding the annual calculation of corporate GHG emission totals and annual reports prior to submission to the province.
The term of the Sustainability Committee is from May 16, 2017 to September 30, 2018.
"This is an exciting opportunity to focus in on some of the actions in the Sustainability Plan and create some momentum and enthusiasm within our community around how we can become leaders in reducing our carbon emissions locally, and tackling some innovative projects and solutions,” said Councillor CaroleAnn Leishman. “We encourage anyone keen on helping to launch some of these types of initiatives to apply."
Interested organizations and individuals are invited to submit a letter detailing their interest.
“Organizations should explain how their mandate supports sustainability action and identify who would be the organization’s representative and alternate, including the individuals’ related credentials and experience,” Jackson said. “Individuals should include any particular interests, experience (volunteer or paid), or other credentials related to the position, as well as two current references, either personal or professional.”
Applications may be submitted by mail or email to:
City of Powell River
6910 Duncan Street
Powell River, BC V8A 4V9
Deadline for Applications to be received has been extended to 4 pm on Monday, May 1, 2017.
For more information, contact:
Chris Jackson, City Clerk
- Willingdon Beach Campsite
- Community Links
- Fire and Emergency Services
- Employment Opportunities
- Photo Gallery
- Sustainability Charter
- Liquid Waste Management
- Asset Management
- Powell River Integrated Community Sustainability Plan
- Live & Invest in Powell River
- Bylaw Enforcement & Animal Control
- Development Services Division
- Engineering Services Division
- Financial Services
- Human Resources
- Operational Services Division
- Powell River Public Library
- Parks, Recreation and Culture
- City Hall
- I Want To...
- Apply for....
- Appear as a Delegation
- Contact Council
- Live & Invest in Powell River
- Register for Recreation Programs
- Ride the Bus
- Start a Business
- Submit a request for information (FOI)
- View Bid Opportunties
- View Garbage/Recycling Schedule
- Know What's Happening in Powell River